Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Dental sentiment

You guys, Duchess only has six baby teeth left, crowded in among the new, comically giant choppers. The orthodontist thinks they'll be gone within nine months.* I felt unexpectedly stricken by this news. In some deep part of my brain, I feel that when she loses that last bony vestige of babyhood, she will officially Not Be My Baby Any More. This is a ridiculous notion, and I really can't even pretend that I'm enthusiastic about infancy in general,* so it's silly that I'm pining for it in any way. It's surely more complicated than that - grief for my own looming death, probably, plus my anxiety about my girls growing up in the world. She's got a big adult life ahead of her, and those old tiny teeth were obviously not up to the job.























* Skipper has always been dentally precocious, losing her first tooth (the natural way, I mean - she knocked one out at age two) at age four. She is still in the normal range, though. And, as you may recall, that's pretty much my parenting goal - keep things within the normal range.
**It's not that I dislike babies. It's just not my favorite part of people's lives. 

No comments:

months go by

We are alive! Not much to report. Cook has a new job, still in government, but doing a different kind of work. I have the same job. Duchess ...