Explanation of my working situation

I was just looking back over some old entries (hey! I've been blogging for more than a year!) and felt that I should provide some kind of helpful explanation of what exactly is going on right now, in case any of you lovely people (hi Diane!) are attending to the overall narrative. I did get an internship, and it's pretty terrific. I have no idea why they hired so late,* but it worked out great for me, as most of my classmates had already landed internships by the time these guys got around to hiring, so the competition was much diminished. Ha! A blow struck for middling-type students everywhere!

Anyway, I've got a few weeks left of working part-time at my old job AND at my new internship, and it's very weird going between the two. In one place, I supervise two interns and a host of volunteers, and in the other place, I get supervised (kind of). In one place, I have an office to myself and can listen to music and check my email as I please. In the other place, I am a tiny cog in a mighty machine, and I share a cube with other intern drones and smile awkwardly at my 89 coworkers when I run into them in the aisles between our cubes.

The internship is interesting and challenging, but it's also daunting. Several of the other interns actually have already secured their degrees and are interning because they can't find a real job. Seriously. This is NOT a good sign. And I happened to start my internship before the end of June, and therefore got to meet the guy in the cube next-door, who was just finishing up his FIFTH temporary government position. Really not a good sign. So all those not-good signs point to the conclusion that I need to be not only a good intern, but a spectacular one, in order to have a hope of landing a decent government job. I'm working hard on this; I have showered before work every day so far.

So my leisurely summer plan has fallen by the wayside, and I'm a little sad about that, too. But there's plenty of leisure to be got, anyway. I took Dutch to the pool last weekend, and she was delirious with joy and made me laugh a lot, and then when we were walking home a nice lady in one of the awesome food carts near the library gave us free samples of the most delicious strawberry shortcake ever, and then we went to the library and sat around in the air conditioning reading trashy magazines.** Summer, I love you. Sorry it didn't work out the way we planned, but maybe we can enjoy some weekend flings.

*Something about budgets. Silly government.
** Or picture books. Whatever.

Comments

Diane Feissel said…
Yay internship! And thanks for the full 411... Cheers!

Popular Posts