Decadent weekend

Cook is gone this weekend, and Dutch and I are on our own. We're having a movie extravaganza (so far limited to movies made before I was born), with a showing of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang yesterday and Dumbo today. Dutch loves both of them. We went to Goodwill and Dutch and I had our first-ever mother-daughter dressing-room session. (She's come into the dressing room with me before, but never to actually try on her own clothes. I tried on work clothes, and she tried on pajama pants with polar bears on them.) We made ginger tea and bagel faces.

















We also bought my new hula hoop, which is really cool. I decided on a whim the other day to buy a hula hoop, and bought a $5 one at the toystore near my office. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it hula at all, which was very deflating, and I gave it to an appreciative Dutch. Then I looked online and discovered that it is very difficult for grown-ups to use child-sized hoops. Physics, or something. However, it is quite easy to make your own hula hoop, though I quickly determined that the investment in equipment was not worth it for me, and posted a craigslist ad instead. And now I have a HUGE hula hoop which is not only the coolest thing ever (AND easily hula-able) but also made us lots of friends on the multi-bus journey home with it. Here, for your random enjoyment, is a picture of one of the downstairs kids, dressed as a lion and using Dutch's hoop in our courtyard a few weeks ago during a fit of surreality.













Also, we went to see some fireworks last night. Dutch expressed a strong desire to see them, and I was not up for going to the waterfront show, what with the late hour and the holiday bus schedule, but we did walk down the street at dusk to the bluff overlooking the river, hoping we could catch a glimpse of some fireworks. We joined a handful of other people, including a family with a kid about Dutch's age who had also never seen fireworks, and the two of them were delirious with excitement. We saw... the moon! The lit-up windows of the hospital on the hill! Stars! Blinking lights on a cell tower! Lights of passing cars and bikes! Bats! Ninety billion mosquitoes! And then, finally, we kind of saw three different shows going on around the horizon, none of them terribly well, but well enough to thrill the kids. It was a lovely night, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Know who's the best hula-hooper I've ever seen? MY MOM!!! I bought one a few years ago as prpparation for hosting Thanksgiving at my house. (Yes, my family and friends need props. We had a terrific time several years ago with an Elvis mask...) I dont know what size it is, but I'm assuming it must be child-sized bc I can't use it, and bc I bought it in Target.) Anyhow, my mom can go forever, with no effort.

They also make adult-sized weighted hula hoops, for exercise purposes... they had one at the gym I went to a few times and paid for for a year. At least I'm getting something out of it now. Finally.

Popular Posts