Help.

I need book recommendations. A colleague suggested a year ago that I read the Donna Leon mystery series, and I started the first book, thought "eh..." and kept reading, and now I'm hooked! I'm going to read them ALL! And I want MORE! MORE BOOKS!!!! Besides, it's Summer Reading time again, and I've got to muster up a list of six not-embarrassing books to turn in as an entry for a lottery to win a weekend retreat. So please, recommend me something.... I'm expecting you all to do a better job with this than you did for me last summer when you recommended NOTHING!

Comments

Anonymous said…
- Foreskin's Lament
- The Book Thief
- The Wondrously Brief Life of Oscar Wao
Anonymous said…
- St Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves
- A Short History of Tractors in Urkrainian
Anonymous said…
Henning Mankell's mystery series featuring the lumpy yet intruiging Inspector Kurt Wallender. Set in Sweden.

I am loving keeping up with the Dutch-Cook-Non-Coffee-Drinkers, BTW...

Love CM
tiffky doofky said…
My roommate recommends the Daniel Silva mysteries. I recommend Cormac McCarthy (especially The Road) and anything by Laurie R. King (Sherlock Holmes redux and contemporary lesbian police procedurals, plus a few non-genre efforts thrown in for good measure). Forgive me if I have already recommended these. As you know, I am more of an authority on non-not-embarrassing books, such as the historical romances of Candice Proctor.
Aimee said…
Lady Audley's Secret (Mary Elizabeth Braddon, 1862)

Country of the Pointed Firs (Sarah Orne Jewett, 1896)

The Golden Compass (P. Pullman, 1995)

The Railway Children (Edith Nesbit, 1906)

Popular Posts