Best of what?

I'm going to have to pump breastmilk this time around. Last time, since I was home with Dutch for two years, I never did pump. I tried a few times with a manual pump, but it was hard and frustrating and it was easier just to skip it, so we did.

This time, though, I'm likely to have to go to work at some point before the kid is weaned. Also, it's going to start daycare at the end of September, when it's still entirely breastfed, and I'm unlikely to get to the daycare every three hours for nursing, even if I am just taking classes. So... pumping. I've been shopping around, confounded by the different varieties of pumps and bottles and nipples.

And I've been getting pissed off by the publicity around this article. I don't know why people get into this kind of argument - can we not have a real discussion around the difficulty of parenting in modern society without playing a pointless and distracting blame game? Why can we not support paid parental leave AND equal pay for women AND better regulation of formula AND better postnatal care AND better affordable childcare AND better family facilities in the workplace?

I'd better have this baby soon. I'm getting seriously grouchy.

Comments

Popular Posts