Planning

I've been spending some time scheduling the birth in my mind, trying to identify the Best Possible Time. For example, we've got visiting family in town this week. Would it be better to give birth before they leave, so they could keep Dutch company and then meet the new baby? Or better to wait until after they leave, so as to get to spend more quality time with them? Do I want to give birth in the middle of the night? While Dutch is at daycare? 

(I am aware, in case you're worried about my addled dehydrated brain, that I can't schedule this.)

Reasons Next Week Would Be Better:
  • My Chief Midwife is out of town for two days. 
  • I'd really like to catch up on a few school things. 
  • I haven't quite finished setting up the Giving Birth At Home Kit. 
  • It would be nice to get this laundry done.* 
  • I'm still feeling pretty weak and shaky.

Reasons Right Now Would Be Better:
  • I'd really like to stop being pregnant RIGHT NOW. 
  • It would be great to be back in action in time for some Big School Project events in the second week of May...

This waiting period is so strange. In three weeks, I could still be pregnant, or I could have a three-week-old infant. I tried to broach the subject with Dutch, explaining that the baby could be born any day now, but she clearly doesn't get it. It's a pretty hard concept for all of us. However, she declared "I am ready to be a big sister!" so I guess we're all set.


*There's been a lot of that, what with all the viruses circulating around here lately.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Newsweek must be making up some of their data. Spending $300,000 in 40 years for hair and face amounts to $7500 per year or $150/week. Is that plausible when the median household income is around $48,000? It's still scary.

Popular Posts