New

My classmate (the one who has twin one-year-old babies and a 4-year-old) looked at Skipper a month or so ago and put her hand to her chest. "Oh my god," she said in amazement, "I'm never going to have another newborn."

I'm trying to pay attention to Skipper. I'm never going to have another newborn, either, and I'm trying to absorb all the crazy and lovable stuff that's common to all newborns (that I've met, at least). These are my favorites:
1) The way that her skin is so soft that if you touch it with your less-sensitive skin parts, you can't even tell you're touching it.
2) The buttermilk smell of her breath.
3) The post-eating stretch-and-grimace, which expresses so much satisfaction that it's impossible not to smile when you see it.
4) The strange slow waving of her arms and legs, like underwater plants. (This is already gone.)
5) The thoughtful, considering gaze, completely un-self-conscious, completely unaware of any rules or history. Just new!
6) And, of course, the very very small feet. Everybody loves the feet.

Comments

Anonymous said…
*thank you* for posting this.
i couldn't agree more with the awesomeness list. (but i, hopefully, will have a newborn again some day.)

Popular Posts