Shots

Skipper had a well-baby checkup this morning, and I'm taking advantage of her post-vaccination sleepiness to blog. Vaccines make me feel awful. I'm torn between my public health education (must protect the herd!) and my natural tendency to avoid putting anything foreign into such a small body. We plan to fully vaccinate Skipper, just on a slightly more prolonged schedule than is recommended. Not as prolonged as Dutch's was, though, because she's going into daycare much earlier than Dutch did, and we MUST PROTECT THE HERD!

Dutch had one nasty vaccine reaction (fever and vomiting and lethargy, which qualified it as a "mild reaction" in the opinion of the medical establishment), but otherwise has weathered all her shots without trouble. Skipper seems determined to sleep for the rest of the day, with breaks for nursing. This is a normal vaccine response, and would be fine with me if I knew for sure that it'd turn out okay. (Parenting would be easy if I knew it'd all come out fine in the end.)

Anyway, Skipper is thriving. She's in the 90th percentile for height, 72nd for weight, and 66th for head circumference - another tall pinhead baby! Also, she doesn't like getting shots.

Comments

Popular Posts