Amendment

I should clarify that I didn't actually mean in my last post that I'm tempted to drown my child. (Given Cook's feelings about water conservation, there's rarely enough water in the bath for that purpose, anyway.) I just sometimes am tempted to wash her hair by force.

I just waved to Dutch and Cook as they trotted off to the bus stop, heading to the zoo for Howl-O-Ween. Dutch is wearing her construction worker costume, minus the helmet (it's waiting at the postoffice for pickup). She's proudly carrying her lunchbox/toolbox, which is full of impressively realistic cardboard-and-duct-tape tools made for her by her handy uncle and his girlfriend, who visited last weekend and thrilled Dutch by playing crazy chase games and taking her tools appropriately seriously. She also learned to make all the appropriate sound effects for each tool, and she knows how to use all the tools correctly. (Antarctic Uncle is a stickler for the proper care and use of tools.) She's ready for Halloween.

A side note: one of the crazy Antarctic Uncle chase games transmogrified weirdly into The Flesh-Eating-Seal Game, in which one person brandishes a cardboard seal at the other person and yells "I'm going to eat your flesh!" - except that Dutch keeps saying "flush," which makes her sound like a demented plumber. Yesterday she yelled "mama, the seal is going to crack you open and drink your flush!" which made me feel both appalled and totally amused. A combination of emotions I'm pretty familiar with when it comes to Dutch.

Comments

Popular Posts