O happy day!

It's a gorgeous sunny day today, our apartment is remarkably tidy, and I just put on a new pair of comfortable but not horribly frumpy maternity jeans* I bought last week at the thrift store, and found FIVE dollars in the back pocket! I did pay a whopping $10 for the jeans, so they didn't pay for themselves, but still. An excellent beginning to the day.

Dutch is in agonies of anticipation of her birthday tomorrow (she's having her birthday party on her actual birthDAY, so all her festivities will be crammed into a scant 13 hours). She gets a birthday breakfast (at which she gets to open all the tantalizing packages that have arrived recently) with muffins and JUICE (a rare and precious treat), and then a birthday party at lunchtime, with four friends and a teaparty. Then we will spend the afternoon recovering. This is our first Real Birthday Party, with guests chosen only by the birthday girl, and we have to provide all the accoutrements, like favors** and child-pleasing-but-not-terribly-unhealthy food for lunch, a cake, a clean apartment, refreshments for parents, and so on.

Dutch also appears to have some very strong ideas of what birthdays should include. I found out yesterday about her expectation of confetti (which should apparently be tossed festively in the air after the Eating of the Cake), so she and I cut up some magazines last night, but I am anticipating some tempests of disappointment tomorrow when all the other expectations about which she hasn't told us are not fulfilled. Like a clown, and a pony.


*Yesterday I had to unbutton my regular pants every time I sat down, so I figured it's time, though I'm dreading the experience of having to wear the same six items of clothing every day for the next five and a half months, and had been hoping to postpone it a little longer. Also, my tiny parasite appears to be displeased by tight waistbands and spends lots of time poking grouchily and feebly at my pants.

** Favors seem to have gotten more elaborate since my childhood. We've walked away from parties with stuff that cost more than the gift we brought to the party.

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
O Dutch, I hear you about the never-spoken-yet-still-mysteriously-unfulfilled expectations. May you weather them better than I have!

Popular Posts