thoughts of consumption dance through my head

I am not a big fan of pregnancy. The waiting drives me nuts, the physical discomforts drive me nuts, and the knowledge that it'll all get much worse before it gets better drives me really nuts. My only solace (besides, hm... the fact that there'll be a new kid!) is the fact that I get to think about acquiring baby stuff again.* Especially baby carriers. I love baby stuff (it's so little! so cuddly!) but I really love baby carriers. I hate strollers, which make me feel like I'm just the engine behind the baby rather than a human being, disconnect me from the baby, don't allow for nursing-while-walking, AND are cumbersome on public transit. With Dutch, we used a couple of slings and then the fabulous Ergo, but I wasn't thrilled with the slings, and I'd like to improve on them this time around (we've still got the Ergo, thank goodness). And our recent visit to the Baby resold me on the many kinds of carriers that I'd coveted when Dutch was wee. So now I have a new consumption goal: the purchase of a wrap.** I'm pretty sure, as I am with every new baby product, that it will make parenting easier and more delightful. Actually, the fabulous Ergo*** did do that, but so far no other parenting product has met my expectations.

Anyway, send me your baby clothes! Your used, stained, tattered baby clothes in random colors and patterns!**** While I feel as sad about the economy as the next person, I see no point in stimulating it by buying new clothes for babies, who don't care what they wear and grow out of things in about 3 days, and I certainly can't afford to buy any. I need to save up my money to buy wraps.

* We saved only a few things from Dutch's infancy - big ticket things like a carseat and stroller, and a few beloved items of (mostly striped) clothing. Having so little space and no plan to create a sibling until Dutch was at least out of diapers, we figured it was for the best.
** Plus world peace.
*** If you're shopping around for an expensive baby gift to give your pregnant friends (other than me), I highly recommend an Ergo.
**** But not the kind with lots of snaps all up and down the legs, because those make Cook cry, especially at 2 AM. Apparently, he's not alone in feeling this way.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I hate snaps too! Wow! I had no idea that I was not alone. It's good to have company.

Also: Moby wrap. It's the only way to go. (Besides an Ergo).
Anonymous said…
I'm still looking for a good alternative to snaps. So far, I just save myself a little headache by not snapping the middle snap...
Anonymous said…
I second the Moby Wrap comment. It is the easiest of all wraps to use with only one tying method and is super affordable. Then when your wee one is older you can transition to the Ergo....

Popular Posts