Sunday afternoon

I just stopped writing my paper. I didn't FINISH it, mind you. I just stopped writing it. I might finish it tomorrow. Maybe.

In the meantime, here's a profound thought for you.

I haven't got much to say for myself. Dutch had a very successful playdate today with Best Friend (with whom there's much more friendly negotiation and give and take than there is with Alpha Girl), and Cook and I got to listen to them in Dutch's room, putting together imaginary scenarios (of terrible beauty) involving doctors, princesses, fairies, rabbits, pirates, and stepsisters, in a dialogue in which every other sentence began "Pretend that..."

I got kind of jealous of them. I'm sure I live much of my life in a pretend world of my own concoction, but theirs seems like way more fun than mine.

In my pretend world, I'm pretending that I don't still have six weeks (or more!) of pregnancy ahead of me. The baby has got to be eight pounds big, at least, and a confirmed bully. It's pushing so hard in its attempts to escape that I don't understand why my abdomen isn't covered with bruises. My conviction that it'll be easier to get all my homework done with the baby inside me rather than outside is weakening under this siege.

Comments

Anonymous said…
how'd the turning in of the paper go yesterday? we're all ears over here.

Popular Posts