weighty matters

While I'm on a kick of telling everybody more about my pregnancy (and birth) experience than they want to hear, I feel compelled to inform you all that all my weight-management efforts for this pregnancy have gone out the window. After managing to stick pretty well to my plan, and recently hovering for a few weeks at about the same weight (to the point that I actually started worrying that the baby might not be growing enough), I suddenly gained four pounds in a week. That wasn't so great. But the baby seems to have been doing some serious growing, so it's not really grounds for concern. Except that today, two days later, I seem to have gained three more pounds. I didn't even know that was humanly possible. Even allowing for water retention and variation due to shoes and clothing and whatever, I have gained in ten days more weight than I gained in the first 21 weeks of the pregnancy. Yikes. Time to be a wee bit more thoughtful about what I eat.

My other (related) landmark is that I can no longer tie my own shoes. Okay, I can, under duress, but it's really hard. This morning I sat on the couch, attempted to reach my laces, and announced to Cook that "It's happened!" He, poor man, thought I meant that I had gone into labor, and came tearing out into the living room in a panic, much to my puzzlement and Dutch's. I will be wearing slip-on shoes for the next two months.

Otherwise, all is well. I have more energy than I did in weeks 20-30, and feel better overall, in spite of being approximately the size of a baby killer whale* and woefully over-committed and under-rested.

Now I'm done blogging about pregnancy for a little while. I'll try to think of some good themes in weather and politics.


* Usually 300-400 pounds, in case you're wondering.

Comments

Anonymous said…
cook probably doesn't need practice tying shoes for other people, seeing as dutch is already in your lives. but i looked upon the lack of laces-reaching as a chance for eltanin to get some good practice in before The Joey arrived on the scene.
Anonymous said…
...And let me say, I'm pretty darn good at it now.


We want more pregnancy posts! More! More! More!

Popular Posts