23.5% depressed.

I just dipped my toes back in the scary, frigid trying-to-get-a-job pool, and was rejected (from an internship paying $12/hr at the agency where I interned last year) within two days of submitting my application. I didn't even rate an interview.

The most-broadly-defined jobless rate (including people who've given up looking for work and people who wish to be more employed than they are) is at 23.5% in Oregon. I bet it's even higher in Portland.

We really are going to have to leave the state. The thing is... I don't even know where we'll GO to find a job. Are there states that wish to hire liberal-arts types for planning-y sorts of jobs? Anywhere? I find it hard to imagine that we'll ever be completely employed again. Our temporary poverty is starting to look much more permanent, and we're starting to feel pretty grim. Okay, we were already feeling pretty grim, but now it's worse. The humiliation is really starting to feel ground in now, in a way it wasn't before, like it's not going to wash off ever.

But, hey, at least we don't live in a meth house! Nor are we being tortured. We are healthy and whole AND we have two lovely new quilts, and we were recently given a free crib by a kind stranger. Things could be a LOT worse.

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
I am sorry things are looking down. I wish I could promise absolute jobfulness in Boston, so you'd come back here. On a brighter note, your girls look beautiful, healthy, and happy. Can we go back to being professional children?
s* said…
bleh.
seattle?
chicago?
fighting against the dreary tide is mighty tiring, i must say.
let us know how we can help. especially during august. i have loads of free time for helping then (seriously).
Anonymous said…
buck up little camper. Food and shelter here before you except the meth house option?

Popular Posts