Reproduction

In my peer group, it appears that more and more people are having three kids instead of two.* Alpha Girl's mom, who has an older daughter as well, reported to me with amusement that not only is she often asked when she's going to have another child, but she's asked "don't you want to try for a boy?"

Um, no.

While we are not going to have a third kid (we can't afford it, and we're lazy, and really the last thing the planet needs is more people on it), I can understand the impulse. For me, the main draw is the science-experiment element - who's going to come out? I do love that part; it's really cool to see Dutch's personality unfold in all its scary glory. And there is something sad about knowing you're never going to have another baby. Maybe it has to do with facing mortality** - if you stop having kids, you must be getting old. Also, I'm ashamed to admit there seems to be some sort of competitiveness in it, at least for me - having fewer kids means you're selfish or wimpy.***


*USA Today says so, and I've seen it in my social circles as well. Therefore it must be so!
** And oh my god I just dicovered MY HAIRLINE IS RECEDING. Not only am I going to die, but I'm going to turn into an old man first.
*** True on both counts for me. Whatever.

Comments

Popular Posts