SO hot.

It's going to be a miserably hot week - it'll be over 95 the next four days, and over 100 on Tuesday and Wednesday. This would be easier to face if I wasn't unemployed with two kids to entertain. We can stay in the apartment with the shades drawn, moving as little as possible, until 1ish in the afternoon, and then I think we'll have to go to somewhere that's either deeply shady or air-conditioned. Or has water to play in. Actually, I may just fill the tub with lukewarm water for all three of us to sit in all afternoon. That's free.

The worst part of it is that poor Skipper gets hot and angry, and she wants to be comforted... by being picked up and rocked. Which makes her hotter. Which makes her angrier. So then we wet down her head and torso with a washcloth. Which makes her angrier. Etc.

No... the worst part of it is the sleeping. When I went on a trip down the Grand Canyon as a teenager, lo these many years ago, I would wet down my towel at night, lay it on my air mattress, and sleep on that, because otherwise I'd be unbearably hot. In the middle of the night I would wake up freezing cold, lying on a now-dry towel, and I would put it over me as a blanket. I'm thinking this week we could take some air mattresses down to the laundry room for sleeping.

But then it'll cool down by the end of the week, and the Big Cooks are coming for a visit! Hooray!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow I can read the ****type- like the new size! come swim in the river!
az said…
To stave off the heat try the library or several different libraries - and/or Powells. You could all go to a mall and just sit there or a bookstore to read books to Dutch. You could linger in the grocery store or see if they have day passes to the Y for some swimming or something. A cheap movie theater - maybe you could wait in a waiting room somewhere. Here's hoping it isn't too awful.

Popular Posts