No, really, it's seriously hot.

It's the beginning of our third over-100-degrees-hot day. We survived yesterday by going to lots of air-conditioned places, and then lying around the park in the shade for four hours. (Cook met us there at 5:30, bringing the dinner we'd cooked in the morning). Then we went to the pool for "Family Play Swim" at 7:30 PM. Dutch showed off all her swimming skills, and Cook and I relished the feeling of actually being slightly chilled. Skipper liked the pool, but not so much the splashing of the nine thousand other people who were there.

I looked at myself in the mirror at one of our air-conditioned stops in the morning (Dutch had to pee), and was shocked. I looked like a refugee,* with greasy hair, shadowed eyes,** gnawed-on lips, and a general expression of sweatily miserable resignation.

It's just... so... hot. There was a breeze in the park, but it was a HOT breeze.*** And the nighttime cool-down isn't very cool, so there's very little respite. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, when it's cooling down to 97! Woohoo!


* A fat refugee, perhaps fleeing some sort of molasses-flood-type disaster.

** Not only have Skipper and I both been sleeping poorly in the heat, but Dutch woke up panicky in the middle of the night before last, very upset because she was unable to sleep at all. I explained that she had, in fact, been sleeping solidly for hours. She said "Really?! I'm asleep right now!?"

*** Like the sirocco, except not as fast, or as dusty, or in Africa. But otherwise, very much like a sirocco, which was all I needed to go around whispering the word to myself all evening. Sirrrrrooooooccccoooo....

Comments

Popular Posts