Swimming

Dutch LOVES swimming! She's badgering me to add more lessons to her already-swim-packed summer.

I'm impressed with what she's done so far. She's been brave and determined in making big leaps of faith (trusting her buoyancy! putting her head underwater!) and practicing relentlessly. In thirteen half-hour classes, she's gone from being very reluctant to put her head in the water to doing a "front glide" all by herself, which requires her to immerse her head and kick herself along with no help. They other kids in the class are happy to do what the teachers ask, but they're not particularly invested in any sort of outcome, as far as I can tell by their behavior. Dutch looks much more goal-oriented. She pushes herself; she asks the teachers if they'll let her take the next step (like trying to float by herself instead of with their support). I've never seen her do anything like that.

I'm not sure what exactly is propelling her determined progress. I think she likes the rapid improvement, she likes that Cook and I approve of it, she likes the idea of moving up to a more sophisticated class, and so on. She also seems to genuinely like swimming - she was delighted to frolic in the refreshingly chilly Deschutes last weekend.

So I got my wish. I've got a kid who likes swim lessons. Also, my dream of an idyllic summer of watching one kid learn to swim while the other kid sits cherubically in my lap also is sort of coming true. Skipper seems happy to sleep, nurse, or sit and watch the pool-related antics. She's a good baby. (Also, she sings! She's a weird baby.)

Comments

Popular Posts