Book report


I think everybody who reads this blog knows how much I love to read. I started reading really early, and read lots of Good Books for many years. Then I got pregnant and used the hormones as an excuse to read every bodice-ripper I could find at the library. I never stopped. I occasionally read a Better Book, and sometimes a Good Book, but mostly I just read brainless crap that I forget as soon as I read it. Which is fine with me; I have no feeling of obligation to read Good stuff. Cook reads enough of that for the both of us. But I truly love reading, and the escape it provides me.

Dutch seems to share my passion. She loves old-fashioned books, especially. Now she's reading the Marguerite Henry books I loved as a kid - they're all about horses. Cook hates them ("Oh my GOD this is boring!" he whines to me after she goes to sleep), but he stoically plods through them without letting Dutch know his feelings. I'm reading the Grimm fairy tales to her, in order. Oh my GOD, they're boring. Also misogynistic and violent and creepy. Whee! At some point in each story, she looks at me with a wrinkled-up face and says "Why did they do that?" and I say "Because it's Grimm!"
I found this great blog about children's books - the author provides recommendations and discusses books, and she totally likes the same books I do. If you're looking for book ideas, check it out.

Comments

Popular Posts