Dirty words

I forgot to report that Dutch recently, during a heated game of Candyland (sounds sticky!), said "Oh, fuck!"

Then I had a little chat with her about appropriate words. My position on this is kind of unenthusiastic because it really doesn't bother me to hear people use bad words, and hey, they're actually pretty useful! But I don't want her using them in front of other people, lest they not take her seriously.

Yesterday I told her cheerfully during yet another game* that she was "kicking ass and taking names," and then I had second thoughts and told her she shouldn't really say that in front of other people, but it was okay to say it at home with just us. (I TOLD you my position was unenthusiastic!) A few minutes later, she said "I'm beating butts and forgetting names!"

So I guess I don't have to worry too much about it.


* She's REALLY into board and card games right now, thanks to Auntie V. She can beat me at Memory about half the time. Not so much other games. She's become a much better sport over the last few weeks, mostly since it quickly became clear to her that nobody would ever play with her if she kept throwing tantrums whenever she lost. And hey, Auntie V., she announced to me that the word "weird" is a secret word that you and she share. "It's special for me and V." she said.

Comments

Popular Posts