Phew

It's been a long week. Come Monday I will start working a lot more, as my boss is leaving on fairly short notice and I will have to do her job as well as an additional project we're just starting. And school starts. I have been lying awake the last few nights panicking about having made a Terrible Mistake. Spending all this money to work too hard seems like a bad idea. Yesterday and today I attended Orientation, which made me feel old and slow... my program seems to be full of young people with sharp wits, interesting jobs and interesting plans. The faculty and returning students hosting the Orientation reiterated with alarmingly frequency the theme that this program is REALLY HARD and we will have to work ALL THE TIME and if we want to do anything extracurricular like laundry we should DO IT NOW. This made me feel really tired. Also, I already have a homework assignment, though my first class is 4 days away, and I am already procrastinating it, which is possibly a bad precedent.

I had to work late last night, after a long day of orienting and working, and when I got home, just in time to put Dutch to bed late, she was wonderfully pleased with me - "I missed you mama! I like you, mama! I love you, mama! You're so nice, mama! You have nice eyes, mama!" - I expect that my increasing absence will mean more preschooler-style flattery, and also more withdrawing and punishment.

However. The weather is fantabulously lovely, which helps with my feelings about the change, and I am excited to be learning new stuff! I can't wait to open my mouldering brain and see what I can fit inside. I hope that I will be able to remember that it is a joy and a privilege to get to learn cool new things, even while I'm struggling/juggling through the term - I may need to be reminded.

Also, I'm a student again! I get to use the gym! I get to use the computers! I will have to get many thousands of dollars of use out of the experience, so I intend to drink from every campus water fountain, use every campus bathroom, swim in the pool every week, pick the brains of all the faculty and staff I can corner, order lots of interlibrary loan books, and so on.

Comments

Popular Posts