Through a haze

I'm sick (again - stupid immunosuppressing baby), and I experienced yesterday's Inaugural hullabaloo kind of disjointedly. For all the people NPR interviewed yesterday, I didn't hear anybody providing the perspective of a person with painful sinuses who just watched "Mulan" (because it was already in the DVD player) while sitting in bed, surrounded by crusty tissues, eating 2 cold pancakes with peanut butter. So here it is, because we don't want to miss even the smallest demographic in our media analysis:

1) I know it's good to have pageantry and celebration and joy and whatnot, but I just kept thinking "Hey, mister! Shouldn't you be GETTING TO WORK!? I think we've got some little problems you could get started on!"

2) I loved loved loved seeing the pictures of Obama and Biden and their spouses waving goodbye to the Bushes as they wafted away in a helicopter. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

3) For all my grouchiness about point #1, I was pleased to hear from Dutch that her daycare teacher had them all watch the swearing-in on TV. She was most impressed by the cannons ("Mama, they shot off bombs!"), but I'm sure that she will be happy to have witnessed this. (Happier than I am to remember MY school-news-watching experience, watching the Challenger launch on TV in the library of my elementary school when I was nine.)

That's all. Now I've got to take one last nap before my nine-straight-hours-of-classes marathon tonight.

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
Ooooh, that Challenger launch in the TCS library - still gives me the chills.
Anonymous said…
I, too, recall watching that Challenger launch at school. The Obama inaguration will be a happier memory even if there were "bombs". I am embarrassed to admit my favorite part of the whole thing on Tuesday may have been the little coat and scarf outfits the daughters were sporting...:)

Popular Posts