Holy shit. I know I keep piling scary, depressing stuff on you,* but my buddy Ray dedicated his blog post today to the danger of kids being left in cars in the heat, and it linked to this article, which is rivetingly terrifying and sad. I couldn't read to the end of the article, because I started to feel like I was going to throw up (right at the note about the child who pulled all her hair out before she died), but it's probably a good article for everyone to read.

I think it seems timely to me because I've been thinking about being over-multi-tasked, and distracted by technology. I lost my wallet a month ago, the first time I've ever done that. Yesterday I forgot to go to an informational interview. I can see how it would be possible for me to forget Skipper in a car.** I think it's good for all of us to note that our distractions can have really terrible outcomes - running over a pedestrian when we're talking on the phone, leaving a kid in the car when we're rushing to the next task.

Also, in News of The Sad and Scary, there's a 7-year-old kid missing in Portland, triggering the usual sorts of discussions about stranger danger and how much supervision is appropriate for kids. Dutch is very interested in the story, so we've been talking a little about it, though I'm trying to delay the Big Discussion*** until after they find the kid, which I hope will be very soon.

Anyway, maybe this will cheer you up, as it did me.



*My worried, dedicated readers. I hope you're not all getting together to organize an intervention for me (I'm okay, really). But if you are, I want cake.
** Fortunately, I have no car. Also, Skipper doesn't sleep, and hates driving, so she's hard to forget in a car.
*** With Dutch, there's ALWAYS a Big Discussion.

Comments

s* said…
I read that article about a year ago, and since then just thinking about it reduces me to uncontrollable sobbing. +shudder+

On a lighter note, soon some of your distractions will go away, yes! Yay! Congratulations (early)!

Popular Posts