I'm going on a diet.

I'm not going on a calorie diet.* I'm going on a internet diet. I haven't figured out the details, but it's been stewing in my mind for a little. I quit Facebook this weekend, which felt pretty good. Reading this article was uncomfortable because it sounded very familiar. I don't have much in the way of gadgets - compared to most people I know, I'm a crazy Luddite** - but I am very susceptible to that rush of adrenaline you get from checking your email, and tend to flip back and forth between windows (how much do I love my Google Reader? Far, far too much...) way too often for maximization of productivity.

There's a limit to how much I can give up without losing touch with professional and personal stuff that I'd prefer not to lose, but I can trim down a bit more, and I can certainly control my total time and my flipping-back-and-forth problem. Right?

I'll keep you posted on this self-improvement project, too!

Dutch graduates Thursday evening, and I graduate Friday morning. Pictures will be posted.



*Though that would be a good idea. One thing at a time.
** We have an ipod, an
ancient stupidphone, a fancy but aging camera, a decent but aging desktop, and a netbook. Relatively restrained, I guess.

Comments

Aimee said…
I read the same NYT article and had the same feeling that they were writing about me.

Popular Posts