Daycare Blues

We're still sad about Dutch's daycare. The teachers don't even say hi to her in the morning half the time. Tomorrow I'm pointlessly going to visit a couple of swanky limited-hours preschools, apparently just to torture myself, since we can't afford it AND we need more hours than they offer. I don't know why I'm doing it. Maybe to remind myself that there is better childcare out there, so I can be more aggressive about demanding better from the current place. Dutch is much happier there than she used to be, but she's still not happy, and we don't like what we see in our limited experience with these teachers. I also read an article that made a deep impression on me that said that kids whine because they are sad and brimming with feelings. Dutch became such a whiny mess because her daycare situation was making her sad, and that made her teachers angry, which made her whinier... ick. There's nothing wrong with the daycare itself, but the teachers in her class are a bad combination with her and with eachother. Anyway, the fact is that we cannot afford anything better, so it's pointless to think about all the lovely places where she could be spending her time learning to weave and to cook organic strudel. The situation underlines some of the cruelties of the American childcare nonsystem - Dutch is being punished for her parents' failures (to get rich, mostly) by getting crappy care. She is vastly better off than most kids being punished for their parents' failures, because she reaps the benefits of all the advantages her parents have had (and her childcare is really not THAT bad), and it's still bumming me out. Kids are such gorgeous little explosions of sensation and discovery, and the fact that so many of them are crushed by the weight of their inheritance before they even learn to walk is unconscionable. I used to volunteer at Head Start, and the odds stacked against those extremely small people made me dizzy. (And then I read some Jonathan Kozol books and felt even worse.)

So all of you should support the federal Family and Workplace Balancing Act of 2007 (H.R.2392), which aims "to improve the lives of working families by providing family and medical need assistance, child care assistance, in-school and afterschool assistance, family care assistance, and encouraging the establishment of family-friendly workplaces. " Go to the Thomas webpage and check to see if your reps are on the list of cosponsors. If they're not, give them a call and ask them to cosponsor this bill, because it's important. (Even if you don't have kids, and even if you don't even LIKE kids, it's important. Somebody's going to have to take care of you when you get old, after all, and it would be nice if it was somebody who had decent social support when they were a kid, wouldn't it?) I'd like to see every kid in high-quality childcare that doesn't bankrupt their parents. I'd really like to see that in my lifetime in this country, even if not everybody gets organic strudel.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love what you wrote. I have never written a comment before but I am moved. I am a preschool/daycare teacher. My son also attends where I teach. So, I have both perspectives. Today was a particularly rough day. I have one student who is just plain hard. There is always one child that makes it difficult to keep the class focused during circle time, etc. I actually had to remove this child from the class today. Which made both he and I sad. Later when I saw his Mom coming for pick up I wanted to tell her how difficult a day it was. But, all I could say was Hello. The look of anticipation and happiness in her eyes made it impossible for me to give her any negative news. As a teacher I want to tell these parents that it is a very hard job and that their angels sometimes make me want to pull my hair out. As a Mom I feel how much they need to know that their child is being truly cared for while they are at work. The daycare situation is a terrible one in the U.S. I tried to stay home for several years but there was just not enough income. Unlike the majority of preschool/daycare teachers I actually have a BA. I also am a ceritfied teacher. I know that I am qualified. I also know the frustration that a daycare job brings. I can only imagine what might happen in the daycares where the teachers have very little training and no coping skills. It is a scarey situation!!
kim the midwife said…
I think it is possible to have a kid in a preschool that isn't all about organic strudel but is loving and affordable. We are on day three of ours. The projects don't involve organic produce or famous theorists, but there are always big hugs, progress updates, and great multicultural friends to be made. Keep looking.

Popular Posts