Speaking of Food

I've been thinking a lot about produce lately, what with it being August and all. Our farm share is inexplicably yielding no tomatoes, which is a weekly source of irritation. We did get a giant bag of amaranth greens, of all things, this week. Also squash blossoms, which are very pretty but do not inspire my taste buds. We've been taking Dutch to farmers markets galore, too, to indulge her insatiable appetite for corn, and she's very clear on the wondrous potential of samples. I think she ate her weight in samples (peaches, bread, nectarines, plums, goatcheese, hazelnuts, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, tomatoes...) at the market today, and also had her first donut (maple, with icing), which she referred to later as a "candy bagel" when she requested more. Today we're having summer squash casserole, cucumbers vinaigrette, and corn for dinner. Very yellow, but the blueberries for dessert will balance it out, and we can have amaranth greens tomorrow.

I'm pretty thrilled with the swell of interest in local fresh produce. I love going to a farmers market packed with people buying mountains of peaches that have traveled 30 miles from their picking place. I read a provocative article the other day (from Above the Fold, which I recommend to all) which said that walking rather than driving actually PROMOTES global warming, because our food system is so oil-dependent that the calories you have to eat to fuel your walk actually cost more gas than driving your car, if you eat in a conventional developed-world way. The message is that we need to turn our attention to our food systems, and make them more sustainable. (Not that we should all stop walking.)

I do have good intentions; I try to buy locally and seasonally. Mostly, though, I'm motivated to shop locally because I love good tomatoes in season, especially the expensive and gorgeous heirloom tomatoes, and most especially heirloom black tomatoes. I have a visceral thrill of pleasure every time I pick one of those things up, warm from the sun, thin-skinned, heavy as a guinea pig. Every summer, Cook and I end up eating a lot of meals that involve a big bowl of raw tomatoes, olive oil, basil, and mozzarella, usually with pasta and parmesan, and maybe a side dish if we can remind ourselves that there are other produce items we should be eating. Also, I love orange cherry tomatoes. And blueberries. Having a toddler around gave me an excuse last summer to buy huge quantities of blueberries (she needs to learn about healthy treats!), something I'd never done before, due to the expense. I can't think of many domestic experiences more luxurious than having a ton of fresh blueberries in your kitchen waiting to be eaten.

Anyway. I've got squash to cook, and blueberries to wash. May you all have nice produce in your kitchens.

Comments

Popular Posts