Not Always On Duty

I am spending five nights this month away from home, ALONE. I had two of them this weekend, and I'll be off on a three-night trip in a few weeks (this one for family, that one for work). I've spent five nights away from Dutch in her entire life up to last week, so this is awfully exciting.

Having survived my first wrenching separation from the parasite, I can report that it was great. The trip was pretty stressful, but I had the wonderful luxury of not having to meet anybody's needs (beyond reasonably emotional interactions, I mean - I tried not to get too selfish). I didn't have to pay attention; I could shut down that part of my brain that's constantly keeping tabs on Dutch. I never knew, before, how wonderful waiting in the airport alone with a bag of candy and a book could be. I am so mobile! I am so polite! I am able to adapt my behavior appropriately as circumstances require! I do not whine very much! I am fantastic company! I consistently use the bathroom! Three cheers for me on my own!

I missed her, though. She missed me - she's still pretty excited to have me back, 24 hours later. I'm also pretty sure that she passed through a developmental hop this weekend, since she seems to be suddenly talking very fluently and extensively, though she is still unable to maintain a conversational focus longer than 12 seconds. (Talking to her on the phone from afar was pretty weird. Sample conversation: "Mama, my pants are like a suit!" "Really?" "Daddy pulled my pants up to my waist, so they're like a suit!" "Yeah?" "Yeah, my pants are like a SUIT!!!!")

Comments

kim the midwife said…
i am so jealous. i have never been away. not one night.

k

Popular Posts