But who's counting?

In the last four months, I've applied for at least 15 jobs, had four informational interviews, and interviewed for one job. Applying for jobs is like dating, or looking at potential new homes; no matter how hopeless the effort seems, you have to invest in the target of your attention a little bit, and imagine yourself living with this job/person/home. If you're me, you think about which bus you'd take to the job.* You imagine your schedule. You think about where you'd put your furniture. It's exhausting, and then when you end up not living there/marrying him or her/getting the job, there's a little bit of grief. (Or a lot, if you really, really wanted that damn job.)

I should mention that we've also looked at four apartments. I haven't been dating, though.

*The old me would have done that. The new me isn't even sure where the last job I applied for is located. It's definitely in Portland somewhere.

Comments

Popular Posts