Siblings

On our epic car trip this weekend, I heard Skipper making her "I want something and pretty soon I'm going to start shrieking" noise, and I assumed that she wanted her water bottle back - she'd been playing with it obsessively and had dropped it on the floor. I asked Dutch if she could retrieve the bottle - she was already digging around in the bag on the floor - and she said "No, she doesn't want that. She says she wants crackers. I've got it." And she got out some crackers and gave them to Skipper, who received them with every indication of having gotten exactly what she wanted.

This wasn't exactly an earth-shaking moment, but it was, I think, the first time that I had witnessed the two of them relating and effectively communicating with each other completely outside the parental influence. It was pretty sweet. Dutch has learned all the signs Skipper knows, and likes to use them, which gives them a way to communicate independently.

Also, nobody was crying for about five minutes, and that was excellent.

Comments

Popular Posts