We/re moving.

We're moving. On THURSDAY. We're pretty topsy-turvy.

This is what's going well in our life right now: Skipper can continue to attend daycare.* I got a call from the daycare office manager on Thursday while I was on the bus, and she told me that Skipper was excluded from daycare until August 16, because she wasn't immunized against chickenpox and one of her classmates has come down with it. This is the policy of the Multnomah County Health Department.** I completely freaked out and burst into tears and had to hang up on the nice lady, who felt really bad. I sobbed quietly to myself for a few minutes (this is okay to do on the bus) because HOLY SHIT our lives are so nutso right now and we're MOVING and we have NO MONEY to pay for a babysitter for three weeks and OH MY GOD what are we going to DO!? Then I calmed down and called back and talked to a different staffmember, and burst into tears all over again, and sobbed for a few more minutes. Then I called Cook who said "Oh my god. What are we going to do?" and then said "Wait a minute. Didn't I get Skipper vaccinated for chickenpox the last time I took the girls for shots?" "No," I scoffed, "why would you have done that?" (we both think the chickenpox vaccine is stupid, and Dutch only got it recently because she needs it for kindergarten). Then I freaked out some more. Then I called him again and he said "I'm pretty sure she got that shot."I called the doctor, just in case. And, yes, she's vaccinated. No problem. Cook recalls that he felt after the appointment that he'd been bullied into getting more vaccines than he felt comfortable doing. I am SO grateful that he got bullied into it.

Anyway, that's what our life is like right now. I had to call the daycare back and apologize to everybody I'd cried all over. They were very nice about it.

So that's the good news this week! Actually, we're also looking forward to living in our new apartment, which is just a 10-minute walk from Dutch's school and THREE frequent-service bus lines! Woohoo!



*At least until the end of August, when my student discount expires, and her tuition goes up to $1400/month. We're sad to be saying goodbye to the daycare, because it's been great, and Skipper has loved it (well, at least for the last 7 months), but sheesh. $1400 is a lot of money.
**Which has declined to hire me a number of times. Clearly, they have bad judgement all around.

Comments

Popular Posts