Escape

Everybody has some preferred ways to escape reality. Some people choose healthy, constructive tools, like exercise, meditation, sewing, painting, music, etc. I go for food, trashy books, and mindless surfing of the internet. Cook likes frisbee and cheap video games, and Dutch reads fairy books. Skipper, apparently, sleeps.

I had to work on a Tuesday this week, a day when Skipper normally stays home with me, and so our new babysitter took care of Skipper all day. Skipper doesn't like being babysat, and when I left at 8:30 AM, she asked me (sobbing) to leave her in her bed. I did. At 12:30, the babysitter texted me that Skipper had been sleeping the entire time, and should she maybe wake her up?

Skipper has a long history of sleeping a LOT when she starts a new childcare situation. Every time, actually, except for one nannyshare with what I now think may have been an unusually gifted nanny. She definitely uses sleep as a way to avoid real life. It's like a weird sort of stress-induced narcolepsy, though it seems to be willed rather than inadvertent. I hope that she retains the ability to do this. When other teenagers are doing drugs and developing eating disorders, I want to see Skipper taking long, long naps.

Comments

JT said…
I love this. She's got such a strong personality. Reminds me of you, totally.

Popular Posts