I had kind of a bummer of a day yesterday. Not awful, or anything. Just kind of a bummer. My voice is still only partly recovered. I found out that my new job, which was supposed to start today, is at best delayed three weeks, at worst cancelled for good (budget cuts). I had to tell the babysitter I just hired that I can't hire her. A coworker told me about some hard, sad  things going on in her life. On my way home on the bus, I started reading a new library book and discovered it was a sad book, and had to put it away, so I was staring out the window when a sort of spray of something sprinkled over me. It turned out to be coffee grounds, sprayed off the used garbage bag a homeless guy behind me was vigorously shaking out.  My first response (after suggesting firmly that he stop doing that RIGHT NOW) was to teeter toward the verge of tears,* but then I thought about the way I was going to tell the story to Dutch when I picked her up, and I realized how ridiculous it was, and my perspective was miraculously restored. (Then I realized the coffee-ground coverage wasn't very extensive, and they at least seemed to be reasonably fresh, and not mixed with anything nastier. And given that I've ridden public transit  at least two times a week for over a decade, I should probably just be grateful that my grossest experience involved only coffee.)

And then after Halloween (which was NOT a bummer in the least, and cheered me up immensely), I downloaded the photos off the camera, including these, which erased the last vestiges of emotional grime from the day.















* Because Oh My GOD! My life is SO HARD! And NOW, COFFEE GROUNDS!!! O the HORROR! I am so SO sad! Why does EVERYTHING bad happen to ME?!

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
Those pictures certainly brightened up my day! On the drive home, NPR had a story on MC Frontalot, a self-styled "Nerd Core" rapper, who has a song called "First World Problems". I am a fan of this formulation, but only after one has taken the time to feel properly sorry for one's self. I'm glad you allowed yourself to court tears before shaking off the coffee grounds.

Popular Posts