First world problems, indeed.

This morning at 5:45, Cook and I were talking about our fears* over coffee (the kids were asleep! it was a miracle) and he pointed out cheerfully that at least he didn't have to wake up Dutch and take her off to work in the mine. So, you know, feeling sad because you can't afford to give your kid piano lessons, while a legitimate feeling and all, needs to be put into perspective.

Perspective really isn't enough, either. We don't have enough in this world for everybody to have the kind of stuff that I want and can't have (traveling! a smartphone! expensive new shoes!), and if somebody has it, that means somebody else can't have something. This week, Portland started a city-wide food-waste composting system for residential properties, which is great.** Sometimes I feel good about the way things have changed just in the last ten years (food waste composting, bike infrastructure, the availability of local and fair trade food, the legality of gay marriage, etc), and then I think about resource use and distribution and I feel sick to my stomach. We try, in our Portlandy way, to use less than The Average American, and we do. We don't drive, we eat seasonal produce, we compost (and now we compost EVERYTHING!***), we don't buy new electronic gadgets every year (even though we want to), we turn the thermostat down, we try not to buy stuff with lots of packaging... but we still use way more resources than almost anybody else in the world. But I don't seem to have the courage or energy to do more. And I don't seem to have enough money to buy a politician,**** so we're making pretty much no difference in the world. But... I guess we just do what we can at the time. And keep in mind that other people are heading off to the mine with their children every morning.


* Due to the same budget issues that erased my prospective job, we're worried about Cook's employment. It's stable for now, but things could get hairy next summer.


** But apparently EXTREMELY upsetting for many people, who are appalled by the prospect of having to change ANY of their behavior, ever. Change is so scary!


*** Leftover oatmeal and milk? Composted! Pizza crusts? Composted! Cheese rind? Composted!!! I think I'll invite a carnivore to bring some food over, just so we can put the bones in the bin and say "COMPOST IT!!!!" I love it. Thanks, Portland. 

**** If I had a spare million bucks or so, I would totally buy some politicians. 

Comments

JT said…
I know it might not seem like you're doing a lot. But you are. Not only through the way you live. But also through the way you teach your girls. I am impressed and proud of your commitment.

Popular Posts