Care and feeding

I've started pumping breast milk, which is now another thing I have to get done in the time when Skipper is not tied to my body. Pumping breast milk is tedious and frustrating (though also totally hilarious - Cook, Dutch, and I all burst into giggles the first time we witnessed the operation), and I find that I slightly resent spending my baby-free time producing milk for the baby.

Cook and Dutch fed Skipper her first bottle yesterday* and apparently she took it without hesitation. Dutch was very pleased, as she got to meet two primary sibling goals of hers - getting to tend the baby herself, and getting the baby separated from me. She really doesn't like that I nurse Skipper - she deeply resents both the intimacy and the time devoted to the baby. I've tried doing some recommended sibling-rivalry-mitigation tactics, like reading to Dutch or watching her perform while Skipper nurses, but it's not enough.


* Cook met me at school, took Skipper, picked up Dutch at daycare, and then headed home - I realized only after the handoff that I had just sent the poor man off to sit on a crowded bus in rush hour traffic with a 4-year-old and a hungry newborn.This is a situation in which it's very handy to be able to nurse the baby (discreetly, because you're bound to offend somebody). Which he can't do.

Comments

Popular Posts