Bulletin from MommyLand

Skipper's getting crabbier, and she has a diaper rash, two facts that may be related. Diaper rashes make me feel like a bad mommy. *

One of my Big School Project groupmates bought Skipper the awesomest onesie ever, in honor of the bus-based lifestyle into which she has so early been inducted. I've been getting some flak from strangers for taking Skipper out in the world so early. One toothless, cigarette-smoking old lady expressed particularly strong disapproval. I don't know - I can see that people feel new babies should be cocooned for their first weeks in the world. But I feel that the way she's out in the world (wrapped to my chest, like I'm still pregnant and carrying VERY high) is pretty much cocooned. Her world is me.

She hears and sees more than she would if we were cocooning at home, but basically all she does is sleep, nurse, and poop, as she would at home, and be very close to me, as she would at home. I think when she gets older, we'll want to spend more time at home, or other places where she can practice her skills. Right now, her skills are pretty easily practiced in the wrap and in some floortime at home. (Cinematography by Dutch. I have a slightly steadier hand.)

So I don't think I'm a bad mommy for wearing my brand-new kid everywhere I go. The diaper rash, though, is a different story. Apparently I have been doing better on the other end of Skipper; she's gained 3/4 of a pound in the last week.


*Clearly I'm a bad mommy because it never even occurred to me that anybody could think it was inappropriate to take a baby out in public wearing only a onesie. Bad me!

Comments

s* said…
oh my goodness. only a onesie?
poor e. i must be a terrible mommy, as for her first several months she was often just wearing a diaper in public - all hot and too warm up against our persons as we wore her in the sling...
but she was. she was hot.

Popular Posts