Unsolicited advice

Dutch announced Sunday evening, after we served up a meal of avocado soup and asparagus pasta, "My dinner is icksters! Can I have dessert?"*

Evenings are the hardest time for us, as for most families. We're all tired and cranky, and we have a short period to get everyone fed, cleaned, and ready for bed. It's the time when I most miss my child-free life. I used to have oodles of time when nobody demanded anything of me! Cook and I used to have conversations! We would even WATCH MOVIES sometimes!

Several people have inquired if we're going to have another kid (probably assuming that since we were crazy enough to have a second kid when we have no money and no prospects, we are likely to do just about anything), and Cook and I both instantly say "NO!!" It's not that we don't like these kids, or like parenting, even - it's just that it would be a bad fit for us to have any more chaos in our lives. We don't like chaos. I cannot imagine having three or four or five children. Or a pet. As a kid, I loved books about large families, and I imagined my future as the warm, sensible, firm but loving mom of a litter of kids who would run wild (in a charming, non-obnoxious way) around our messy but well-tended home, digging fresh carrots out of our big garden and romping with our large and lovable dogs. Nothing about this fantasy was actually grounded in my personality, and none of it has come true. Though I am fairly firm in my parenting.

Cook told me that yesterday, when he was coming home on the bus with Skipper and Dutch, a man sitting behind them growled at him "You need a nanny!"

Yes. Yes, we do, Mr. Grumpy McMeanie. Also a cook. And a housecleaner. And a therapist. And a personal trainer. Please send them over at the earliest opportunity.

* We did make her eat the dinner. She actually likes asparagus. Anyway, she usually just announces that she's not going to eat dinner in order to make a scene.

Comments

s* said…
this is why i really do want to co-family a bit. have two families live really close together and share a bunch of the duties in some very easy and non-difficult-to-navigate sort of way that everybody likes and nobody resents. we could all have a big garden then. and kid-free time. and sanity. right?
i hope so.
now i just have to continue figuring out how to make it work and overcome any of those potentially large hurdles in the way.

Popular Posts