Two

I haven't quite wrapped my brain around this business of having two kids. I am used to the feeling of having one kid, of always having Dutch in the back of my brain, being aware of where she is. Two, though, is throwing me for a loop. I feel slightly unhinged when I'm not with Skipper, because I keep having moments of panic - WHY do I feel so wrong?! - and then remembering that AGH I have TWO kids and WHERE is the little one?!

And I am not with her fairly often because... she naps. She naps in her crib. Okay, not all the time, but about a third of the time. So I have time to do stuff like put on my pants.*

I'm sure I'll figure out a way to mentally track them both, soon. I'm not having any trouble loving them both,** so organizing them should follow eventually.



*Activities requiring bending at the waist are difficult when there's a baby attached to you. Putting on socks, for example, or picking up the important thing you just dropped.


** Something of which I have yet to convince poor Dutch, who is still engaged in a serious drama of losing her parents' love to a leaky, squeaky nine-pound larva.

Comments

Popular Posts