Looking to increase GNH

The house that we're very slowly buying has popcorn ceilings. I had never heard the phrase "popcorn ceiling" before last month, when I learned that Cook LOATHES popcorn ceilings.* I'm the sort of person who has positive or negative feelings about a room, but cannot identify the elements that make it work or not, including things like moldings, paint color, and ceiling texture. I'm basically a disaster as an interior decorator. I'm not sure I was aware that there ARE different ways to texture a ceiling.

Now I know better. I know that a) Cook thinks popcorn ceilings are an abomination and b) popcorn ceilings are messy and time-consuming to remove AT BEST, and at worst are contaminated with asbestos, making them more expensive to remove or cover up (requiring a licensed asbestos abatement contractor - I spoke to a very nice one named Ed yesterday).

This is making me think about GDP, pollution, and planned obsolescence. Somebody paid somebody to put the abominable ceilings up, and now we're probably going to have to pay quite a bit more money to take them down. This is good for GDP. Pollution is also good for GDP, because somebody makes money doing something that pollutes, and then somebody makes money cleaning it up. Planned obsolescence is also good for GDP. Basically, anything that requires more action in the short run is good for GDP. Stuff that lasts, that makes things better in the long term, that doesn't mess other stuff up, is bad for GDP.

I was going to launch, at this point, into some brilliant thoughts about what is good for a country and what is bad for it, and possibly bring in some topical discussion of gun control and fear-mongering, but you know what? I'm just too tired of and sad about that. You know what makes me happy? Thinking about how I'm going to take back the lawn (at the house we don't yet own) and fill that space with native plants and vegetables. It'll be good for GDP and for GNH!


*I have learned so many things about Cook in the last few months. I would never, ever, ever have guessed that he had so many strong feelings about light fixtures and window coverings and whatnot. Yesterday, he drew up several designs for the stained-glass windows he dreams of adding to the living room in the house we don't yet own.


Comments

Popular Posts