Today

I have things to say about today. I'll save some for later (reserve time to read my rant about How It Feels To Be Unemployable - it should be really really interesting and not at all narcissistic or irritating.

First, work is not working for me. Car-free living is excellent in many ways, but it is NOT a good fit with irregular work and no regular daycare. Today I attended an Important Meeting. This entailed arranging childcare for both children. I woke Skipper up at noon, before she was done with her nap, and we bussed downtown to Cook's office, where I left Skipper while I went off to my meeting. After my meeting,* I went back downtown, collected Skipper from Cook,** and went to the home of one of Dutch's friends, where a babysitter was watching her and several other kids.*** We arrived home at 4:30.**** The kids were tired and cranky, and I had several pressing home-buying issues that had bubbled up over phone and email that I had to address IMMEDIATELY. I yelled at the kids. Both of them cried and screamed a lot. It was cruddy.

Second, Skipper. I've been having a pretty good time being stay-at-home-parent with her. She's a lot of fun, and is also currently oozing with cuteness. After I picked her up from Cook, she insisted on walking from his cubicle to the bus stop,doing her crazy bob-trot, with waving arms and wobbling head, and beaming smiles, and every single person we passed (except for a handful of people who were surely near-sighted, drunk, or totally hard-hearted) smiled at her. Many of them spoke to her. She started waving ebulliently at strangers, completely confident that she is loved by all. That must feel pretty great.

Third, I said I wasn't going to start watching any moreTV shows, because then I get hooked and have to keep watching until I give up because it's gotten so silly. But then we started a free trial of Netflix, and we just couldn't find any movies we wanted to see in the instant-gratification catalogue and look what happened to me! Damn you, Tina Fey!


*Total work hours: 1
** Total time spent by Cook: 2
***Total babysitting cost: $5
****Total time spent by me: 4.5 hours


Comments

Popular Posts