I think I may have made a mistake.

I signed up to be a volunteer "coaching assistant" for the soccer program Dutch is doing. (50 6-year-olds, 8 sessions, some scrimmages, some drills, etc. - pretty low-key.) The recruitment email said you didn't have to have any particular soccer knowledge or skills, so it sounded like an easy thing to do. We went today, and Dutch had a fabulous time, but I, operating pretty much without guidance, and under the watchful eyes of about 100 parents who had NOT volunteered, found the whole thing a little daunting. And tiring. We schlepped there after a long day of schlepping,* and I was already kind of worn out, and then I had to run this drill? Which involved a lot of wrangling of children? And running around? And I wasn't really planning on that. I was exhausted, hoarse, and very thirsty by the time it was over. I'm getting old.

However, Dutch loved it. I mean LOVE loved it - she's really excited. She declared her intention to be a two-sport athlete (soccer and baseball), and generously said she'd play tennis with Skipper, who has declared that SHE will play tennis when she gets older.


*I picked Dutch up early, and took her to the dentist, and then we went to the grocery store, fetched Skipper from the nannyshare, got pizza, and went to the field. Between 2 and 6, I rode two buses and a train and waked about 3 miles. So did Dutch, I might add - sometimes I'm so proud of her. I bet no other kid arrived at soccer with 3 miles of walking under their belt, or left with another mile and a bus ride still ahead of them, and she didn't complain at all.

Comments

Jenny said…
ok- not only is that thing about walking 3 miles totally amazing but think about what a totally rocking role model you are to your daughter! Girls rock AND they can play soccer!
tiffky doofky said…
So glad Dutch is psyched for soccer! And such a trooper of a schlepper. I am impressed with all of you.

Popular Posts