Title 9

Our soccer experience yesterday made me think about the fact that Dutch is a girl playing organized sports who has a mother who played organized sports as a child and teenager. She's part of a pretty new phenomenon. It makes a difference in normalizing a behavior - even though I no longer play any organized sports at all, she knows that I used to, and I can tell her about my experience, and help teach her how to play.

When I started thinking about it, I realized that I was the only woman "coach"-type figure on the field at Dutch's soccer practice/thing. Not that I was actually demonstrating any skill or knowledge, but I was there on the field. And damnit, I think that's valuable for all the kids. (Of course, it would be nice if I was actually skilled, and could impress the kids with the lesson that Girls Can Be Good At Sports, Too, but you know, just the lesson that Girls Like To Play Sports, Too is an okay starting point.)

Anyway, I just wanted to say "Thanks, Title IX!"

Comments

Jenny said…
YES for Title 9!!!

Popular Posts