Daycare Days

Skipper doesn't care much for daycare. The teacher cheerfully told me that she thinks Skipper is now crying about half as much as when she started. She's been there for five 2-hour sessions so far, which isn't very much. The place is lovely, and the teachers are super-nice, so I'm sure it'll all work out... right? RIGHT?!

I've been spending a lot of time there, watching the other babies, and it quickly became evident that Skipper is the least relaxed baby on campus. There's one baby, round as a Weeble, with a Blagovichian head of hair, who smiles and laughs and wobbles his way around the room, whom I secretly covet. (Not that I'd get rid of Skipper, who has my heart in her sweaty little hands, but I'd like to just add Weeble-Baby to my secret baby collection.)

Anyway, I'm sure Skipper will settle in eventually. I'll be able to visit and nurse her three days a week, and Cook will be picking her up early enough that she'll do at most five hours of daycare at a stretch for the rest of 2009.

On the first day of daycare, I picked up Skipper at noonish. While I was nursing her, I looked out the window to the playground, and saw Dutch sitting alone under a play structure, wearing her I Am So Sad (Sadder Than You Can Possibly Imagine) face. I went out to say hi, and she poured out a litany of woes,* the sum of which seemed to be that it was weird going back to daycare after three months off, and she felt kind of lost. That seems to have been the only glitch, so far, though.

That's the news from here.

*"My shoes hurt me! My dress hurts me! I'm hungry!" etc.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh, it will be okay. The kids'll be okay. It may very well leave a big ragged hole in your heart, but that'll close up eventually, too. cm

Popular Posts