My relationship with sleep. It is not good.

I should go to bed. I've been so tired that I can't get through the day without caffeine, and I'm having a hard time finishing sentences. But I don't want to go to bed. I want some precious time to myself, and I also dread going to bed because I know my night will not be restful.

We desperately need to sleep-train Skipper. She currently starts the night in her crib and then comes in with us when she wakes up after we're in bed. We did this with Dutch, who woke up about as often in the night, and it worked fine, but there was a much bigger bed involved, and Dutch wasn't so acrobatic in her sleeping habits. Also, Dutch never tried to bite my nipples off, which Skipper has attempted several times.*

However, sleep-training** means getting even less sleep for at least a few nights in a row, which we can't face right now. It also means that Dutch, who sleeps right next door, and Emma and Brendan, who sleep right downstairs, will have their sleep disturbed, too. So it'll take some planning. Maybe in June.



*Skipper seems to be, as best we can tell based on our foggy memories, a more intense and active kid than Dutch. She doesn't walk, she RUNS. She doesn't lean on furniture, she CLIMBS on it. She doesn't nurse, she MAULS

***In our lazy-parenting household, "sleep training" means, more or less, "do whatever it takes to get the kid to sleep EXCEPT putting her in our bed." Holding and singing and walking around and telling jokes for hours? Sure! Morphine and whisky for everyone? Sure!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Does it help to know you are not along? We are still waking up endless times to nurse at night. And we (me) are so so tired. cm
Anonymous said…
I meant "alone" of course, not "along." These are the silly little things I do when sleep deprived. cm

Popular Posts