Maintenance

So I bet you've been burning to know how our "no 'poo" experiment is going... here's your answer. I'd post photos, but the camera is still broken, so you'll have to take my word on it that after 23 days with no shampoo or conditioner (baking soda and vinegar only), Dutch's hair looks fine, and Cook's hair looks fine (and his scalp is much happier). Dutch's hair, in my opinion, has a richer color now than it did before, and a little more wave, but that's pretty speculative. What I can say for sure is that their hair looks/feels/smells totally normal, not greasy at all, and they never had a greasy stage. We've actually been oiling Skipper's head after baths, because her scalp was so dry, and after an initially greasy period of a few hours (during which we style her hair into an excellent fauxhawk), it looks totally normal (presumably after the oil soaks into her bedding and our shirts and whatnot). I'm still not ready to go for it, but I've been reducing the amount of shampoo I use, and concentrating on really rubbing it on my scalp rather than lathering all the hair, and though my hair doesn't feel "clean"* when I finish the wash in the shower, it feels and looks totally fine afterward.

That's the exciting news. I promise not to write about this again for at least three months.

*You know - squeaky.

Comments

Popular Posts