A positive home environment

Yesterday I had one of those alarming parenting moments in which my bad habits are revealed to me. I was telling Cook about my day at work - my boss is about to leave for a vacation, and is giving me some last-minute extra work, which is not overwhelming or actually even unreasonable (my boss is pretty good about that), but still slightly annoying.* Apparently, I was sounding some familiar themes, because Dutch came over, put her hand on my shoulder, looked sympathetically into my eyes, and said "Mom, people ALWAYS dump crap on you, don't they?"

That's the story I tell my daughter about my life, apparently. I had to explain to her that no, people do not always dump crap on me, and that if it sounds like that, I've clearly been using way too many negative words and having too many negative thoughts.

I've got a little work to do on my own mental habits. And I've GOT to stop saying "crap" in front of Dutch.



*Mostly just in the light that hey, she GETS a paid vacation, and I don't.

Comments

Popular Posts